On This Date In Twin Cities History - October 7, 1935
On this date in 1935, Amelia Earhart speaks at the St. Paul Women’s City Club at 305 St. Peter Street. Built in 1931 and designed by St. Paul architect Magnus Jemne, the building is significant as one of St. Paul’s earliest and finest examples of the Art Deco Streamline Moderne-style.
The Women’s City Club organization valued social, cultural, political, and intellectual pursuits and hosted other famous speakers such as Gertrude Stein and T. S. Eliot.
The Women’s City Club was disbanded in the early 1970s and the building was sold to the Minnesota Museum of Art in 1972. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.