On This Date In Twin Cities History - December 24, 1843
On this date in 1843, Father Lucien Galtier celebrates Christmas midnight mass in the Church of St.Peter in Mendota. This 20 foot by 40 foot log structure was located above the bluffs of the Minnesota River and was actually the second church for St. Peter’s parish. According to Fr. Galtier, “a great crowd filled the church…..Officer s, soldiers, Protestant gentlemen of the neighborhood, as well as a great number of Catholic Canadians from St. Croix, Lake Pepin, St. Paul and St. Anthony Falls assisted at the ceremony.” In 1853, this log structure was replaced by 35 x 75 foot limestone structure built by Father Augustin Ravoux. The “Historic Church of St. Peter” still stands today and is listed on the National register of Historic Places.
Historic Church of St. Peter circa 1885