On This Date In Twin Cities History - October 30, 1890
On this date in 1890, ground is broken for Holy Rosary Catholic Church in Minneapolis. This Dominican parish was founded in 1878 in Minneapolis to serve immigrants – then mostly Irish, now mostly Latino. It is located in the East Phillips neighborhood on East 24th Street between Cedar Avenue and 17th Avenue South. Today, Holy Rosary-Santo Rosario, an urban mission parish, serves as a vital bridge connecting a rapidly changing, ethnically diverse community.
Holy Rosary Catholic Church circa 1905 (MHS)