On This Date In Twin Cities History - June 11, 1849
On this date in 1849, the first three judicial districts in the Minnesota Territory are established by territorial Governor Alexander Ramsey. The first district includes the region between the Mississippi and St. Croix Rivers and holds court in Stillwater presided over by Judge Aaron Goodrich. The second district consists of all of the northeastern part of the territory and all of the region north and west of the Mississippi River, north of the Minnesota River, and westward to the Missouri River. Court is held at St. Anthony and presided over by Judge Bradley B. Meeker. The third district comprised of all of the territory south of the Mississippi and Minnesota Rivers, and west to the Missouri River. Court is held in Mendota and presided over by Justice David Cooper. Today Minnesota consists of 10 judicial districts.