On This Date In Twin Cities History - June 1, 1909
On this date in 1909, the Ard Godfrey house is given to the city of Minneapolis. The home, built in 1849, was the first wood frame house built in St. Anthony (now Minneapolis). Godfrey came to Minnesota in 1847 to supervise the construction of the first commercial dam and lumber mill at St. Anthony Falls. He and his family lived in the home until 1853. In 1905, the house was sold to the Hennepin County Territorial Pioneers Association. Four years later, the Association moved the home to its current location in Chute Square where it still stands today.