On This Date In Twin Cities History - May 28, 1896

On this date in 1896, schoolchildren pull the the John H. Stevens house to its current location in Minneahaha Park in Minneapolis.  Stevens house was the first built  on the west side of the Mississippi River in 1849.  Exactly four years later to the day, Stevens passed away.  The house today is a museum, offering tours during the weekends in the summer months. The home was considered to be a civic and social hub of the city, and was used to organize both Hennepin County and the city of Minneapolis.